_________________________________________________________________________________


-- towards a consecrated life

_________________________

Friday, March 27, 2009

fiat voluntas tua

THOU: I am a consecrated person! What pride is now available to me! Is it better to say: I belong to you? I am set aside for God? You must help me discover the best way to understand what I am now, so that my happiness doesn't get the best of me and launch into more celebrations of myself. What unforeseeable pitfalls await on the path. I didn't know I would need to sort away from those feelings that make me feel good because of what I tell myself I've done, and towards the reality of knowing that I have done nothing.

Here we are again, with my saying there is so much work to do, Lord, forgive my absence, and with you waiting on me to return. Instead, give me this day in which to do the work you've given me to do, with you in mind, with a reminder that when I see students and colleagues and friends today, I see people you love. And help me to remember, too: I serve.

In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. To God who is, who was, and who is to come, now and forever.

Amen.

...

1 comment:

The Ambivalent Misanthrope said...

G –
I am so happy for you! The contemplative in me longs to be able to consecrate my life in this way too.

I hope I wasn’t too insensitive in my last communication about my troubles with the Catholic Mass. I did not intend to sound cynical or argumentative or even rhetorical. I am genuinely interested in how you experience or grapple with what I called “sentimentality” in the standard service. On the other hand, I realize it is completely beside the point in terms of your vow.

history

____________________________________________________________________________

Meditation begun in mourning.